Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Great Present!

In Relief Society about a month ago we made these little journals. You can do it with all recycled paper, which is what a I used to make this one. You can use one sided printed paper, fold it in half, and that's the paper you put in the book. Then you take a cereal box (or any other box) and cut it to be the size you want and the print you want. Then line up the paper, (fold on the outside) with the 2 boxes (these are the covers) and drill holes down the spine of the book. Once you got that, take embroidery thread (I use crocheen (spelling?) because that's what I have around) and thread up and down the holes you've made. You can add beads or any other details you want. It's easier to do when someone shows you. They are super quick, cheap, and easy. If you want to do it sometime, and need help, I can show you.A couple weeks after we made them, I thought it would be great to make a coloring/activity book for my nephew for his birthday. I went to the Crayola website, where you can print off tons of different coloring pages and activity pages. I did them double sided and tried to find things my nephew would like. Following the pattern of the journal, I made my own cover. I used cardstock I had for the cover, then made the front with lettering I have. Awesome! The best part - it probably cost less than $1.00 to make! It cost more to send it than to make it! Hee hee. A couple weeks after that my niece was over for conference. The girls were all doing crafty stuff, and she wanted to be a part of it. So, I got some white cardstock, cut it down to the size I wanted, and she put pictures on them. Once she was done, we made it into a little book like the other ones. I should have gotten a picture of it. She loved it! It was super easy to do, and it helped her feel special and important. She loved having her own book.
This little journal making idea has come in so handy! Love it!!!

No comments: