Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy 4th of July!!

I love holidays!!! What do I love most about holidays? Playing with family!!! That's exactly what we did. We played with the Henages and the Schicks - it was awesome! We had a BBQ at the Henage's house and did some slacklining. The Henage family gave Daniel a slackline for his birthday, so we tried it out for size. It was so much fun - but it will take us a lot of work to get good at it. We then drove to my parent's house in Provo, and rode our bikes down to Canyon Road to watch the fireworks. It sure beats being stuck in traffic. It was scary riding our bikes with so many people and cars! I did not feel safe, but it was still fun.

Doing the slack line and hanging out - good times!!!Mike showin his moves and chillin on the slackline
Our sweet spot for the fireworks. We had a great view. I set this picture up on timer. I wanted to get all our bikes in it. When the countdown got to 2 seconds we saw this guy running - we tried to stop him, but to no avail - he's a part of our picture. I could have cut him out, but I got such a kick out of it that I had to include and post it. This has happened a few times to us while doing a timer, but I sure love doing a timer. I can usually get the picture I want, the way I want it, and it's a fun challenge to see if I can do. Call me crazy
So here's for my not so cool events on the 4th of July. My Dad and I decided we wanted to go see the balloons and go to the breakfast that was going on. I made it halfway to the park when I realized I had forgotten my phone. I was worried I wouldn't be able to find my dad. I totally lucked out and found him right quick. We had a great time enjoying breakfast and the balloons. My brother, Dustin, was running in the 10K that morning. We were close to where he would run by, and I thought it would be fun to go cheer him on. We went over and looked and looked among the throngs of runners, but no Dustin. We decided we had missed him. It was 7:20 and I needed take off to get to work at 8:00. When I got to my car, I thought maybe I could see Dustin finish his race. I would cut it close for work, but I thought I could pull it off. I ended up going way out of the way to get to Kiwanis, and by the time I got there I realized I just needed to get to work. I drove past 7 Peaks and got to Center, but they had the road blocked off. I drove around for the next HOUR!!!! trying to get back to Springville. Every road I went down was blocked off. All of University Ave and most of 9th East was blocked off! I was so FRUSTERATED!!! Plus, I had forgotten my phone, so I couldn't call my work and tell them I would be late, and I couldn't call Matthew and tell him where I was. I finally made it to work - 45 minutes late. Poor Matthew had been out looking for me. He was afraid my car had broken down again, and I couldn't call him or that I had been in an accident. What a good husband I have! He always takes such good care of me. He wished too I had taken my phone, because there were so many phone calls that morning. Note to self - always take my phone! Thank goodness for cell phones!!! And good thing the rest of our 4th of July turned out way better!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Looks like a fun weekend! Riding your bikes to the fireworks is a good idea. We'll have to try that sometime.

I'm glad you can relate to the craziness in our house...at least I know someone understands. :) Hopefully soon things will settle down for our husbands.

Debbie Lawrence said...

I've never tried a slackline before...it looks like a lot of fun! I am glad you finally made it to work...even if it was 45 minutes late. :)

Des said...

Hey! So I tried to comment on Natalie's birthday post but it wouldn't let me, weird. Anyways, it sounds like you are having a great summer! I am a little jealous :) What a fun surprise for Natalie! How is she doing? When is she due? When you get back from the house boat give me a call and we will play!!!

David and Sheri said...

Man, I am envious of your golfing skills! We live by a golf course and I want to go so badly! Thanks for the info about the apartment. We ended up going for another place, but I appreciate the heads-up. By the way, when were you in Catalina Island? We were just there and we love that place!