Monday, February 8, 2010

New Shelves!!!

So back when we moved into our cute basement apartment we had some shelves that served us wonderfully and faithfully, well, over the course of time the shelves began to look like thisYep - HALF our food was sitting on the floor - on top of each other!!
Needless to say, it was really starting to drive me BONKERS!!!! That's when I decided something had to change. I looked and looked for shelves that could replace them, but didn't find anything that seemed to fit what I was looking for. Matthew said he could build some. I'll admit, I was a little skeptical at first, but what did we have to lose? So we ventured out to buy the materials. Good ole Home Depot. We visited there a many a times during our shelving adventure. Right after we had cut our wood for our shelves, we saw some plastic shelves that were almost the exact size of shelves we were planning to make. We about DIED! We could have just bought those and saved ourselves a lot of hassle and work. Now that I have the shelves we have, I am so glad we DIDN'T get those plastic shelves.
2 months, big messes, (as you see below)lots of home depot trips, new drill, 3 new screw sizes, a lot of work, a fun experience, and lots of learning later.....we're proud to show off our shelves to you!!!!
I was so giddy and so excited when we were putting them up! They are PERFECT!! I LOVE them so much! Here are some of the fabulous features I love about them
1-High lower shelve to fit flour, sugar, and other big items
2-2 tops rolling shelves, perfect for our cans
3-All the SPACE it has! There is PLENTY of room for everything. Everything has its place. It's organized, and I can actually see what food I have!
4-I can fit all my fabulous appliances on 1 shelf! (We do have more appliances, but these are the most commonly used ones)
Now aren't you all jealous you don't have the amazingly awesome shelves I have??
Matthew did such a good job! I was so impressed! Thank you Matthew!!! You're my HERO!!!

4 comments:

Matthew said...

What an awesome husband you have... lucky!

Katie said...

They do look great! I heard a rumor that Matthew collected a few building tips from someone. :) Our cool husbands have been building up a storm lately. Have you seen their conference table? It looks pretty awesome, too!

Carina said...

How cool! My hubby would never even think about taking on a project like that. He is not a handy man and he admits it. Way to go Matthew! It is always fun to organize and find ways to get everything to fit like a puzzle.

Sarah and Wes said...

I LOVE your shelves!!! Especially the top rolling shelves. Awesome!